Level editor ?

How you guys plan to handle level creation ?

I sincerely hope it will be something in line with NWN1. With easily snap able rooms and objects?

Otherwise creating levels will need some level design skills , or even 3D skills - and many people will either not have time or skill to commit to that.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have quite a bit started when it comes to level creation. The goal is to let people without any level design or 3D design knowledge create levels easily. 

The levels created will likley be more modular than the level that is currently included in Adventure Roll. Given that most system revolved around you entering a room and doing something. This seems like a decent fit.  The level design aspect is one of our top priorities but it's also one of the biggest tasks. If you have any specific requests or thoughts about how systems should work, we'd love to hear them as we will keep them in mind while developing the system. 
  • It is surely one of most important aspects of this project.

I think rooms that snap to each other. Areas that snap to each other. Should be just fine.

As you said , even if it ends to be generic - you can create levels fast and without much effort dedicated to "visual" and concentrate on story and action.

I think there should be no reason to take ideas from NWN1. In fact it is the only game that ever did it right.
    Which was evident in its popularity and huge volumes of player made content.

• Some amount of procedural generation would be fantastic. A randomized cave/town/forest/etc built from the already planned modular part sets. The idea being that one could focus on customization and detail were (s)he so inclined.
  • Some amount of procedural generation would be fantastic. A randomized cave/town/forest/etc built from the already planned modular part sets. The idea being that one could focus on customization and detail were (s)he so inclined.
    I am a big fan of this part - especially the "theme" idea where you can choose to have things generated based on a type of area as well as the procedural generation portion based on either: a) a certain set of constraints (like the one that donjon provides), or b) randomly generated portions that you can always connect/copy-paste.  An example of (b) would be to create a bunch of randomly sized dungeon rooms, but you can always connect them yourself by "drawing" the connecting tunnels ideas.
  • +1 to procedural generation. Came here to suggest just that.